Charlottes Web Blog







July 4, 2007

Happy Independence Day!

I cannot wait for vacation. It's like the time flies by as it draws nearer yet at the same time slows to a crawl! I'm planning on attending an annual gathering of fellow role-players, but in all honesty, I'd much rather save the money and stay at home, maybe use that money for Tony and I to go away for the weekend. But, it seems Tony is more interested that I go ahead with my plans and attend. I think part of the reluctance is not having a room to myself, but instead having to share. I waited too long to book my room, and by time I got around to deciding to go, all the rooms were booked up. I could go to the other motel nearby, but it would mean a lot of driving. But then again, it would afford the privacy and space that I like to have as well.



July 10, 2007

Today was my last day of work before — VACATION! At this point, I still don't know if I'm going. I think I'll wing it come morning. I finished packing up everything and have it all ready to go.

I seesaw on the whole trip for a number of reasons. The lack of privacy by sharing a room tops it all. But again, I could have just made the reservation at the other motel and solved that problem. Too, the drive is fairly long — six hours roughly, give or take depending on traffic and highway construction through Pennsylvania. But it's an easy drive (a straight shot on I-80 for the most part) as well. Still, it's lonely to be by oneself during it all. I plan to leave no later than 7:00 in the morning, which will bring my arrival time to early afternoon, so I'll still have most of the day.

To go or not to go. Decisions. Decisions.



July 17, 2007

It's my last day of vacation and I fully intend to be one-hundred percent lazy!

I did attend the get-together, known officially as The Gathering.

I left last Wednesday around 7:00-ish, by time I got on the road and all, though I started packing up the car around 6:15. Gawd, I was tired already! This year, I wasn't charged up and ready to go. Already I was thinking of the return trip home!

I made it in record time, meeting with very little road construction and only a few instances of major rainstorms along the way. That seems to be the inevitable every year, especially through the mountainous areas of Pennsylvania. When the big trucks zoomed, I zoomed. When they laid back, they let me know to lay back too, which I did. Smokey Bear wasn't making any money off of me! I arrived in the early afternoon, and though was told that I could check in right away, but lo and behold no one was around. So I drove over to Walmart and prowled around, got a few things and then grabbed an ice coffee. By the time I got back, someone was there to check me in.

A few people arrived Wednesday night, but most arrived Thursday, with a few coming in on Friday. Sleep was a premium that rarely happened and further concluded in my mind that I should have reserved at the other motel. Sleep is always a premium, but at least in a room to myself, I wasn't in a room positioned as the main area where everyone gathered about in chairs to party. Trying to take a nap was equally as frustrating, for there would be times someone would be called into the room for private chats about problems and such, various topics, including roleplay.

Then there was the woman who brought her hyperactive 4-year-old son. They arrived in the wee hours of morning and boy, that kid had a screech that could wake the dead. I wasn't too appreciative of being awakened in that manner. The child had no place being there in the first place; it was an adult gathering and everyone was there on vacation. I'd say a good 99.999999% of the people there agreed that their vacation did not include tending to a child that wasn't theirs. I know it wasn't my idea of a vacation. He was cute, but that wasn't the point. It was disturbing to see her assume everyone would take care of him, and drive off going here or there, who knows where, leaving him behind without first asking. Then when it was made known to her that day care was now closed, she took her pissiness out on the child; now I understand why she hasn't had custody of her children.

Friday, a small group of us went out to collect small rocks at the nearby creek for one of the events/games the next day. There was a gorgeous covered bridge there and I had to get pictures!

Saturday was the day of the barbecue and I got voted as one to do shopping for the food along with two others. I had the car. I didn't protest, but I wasn't particularly thrilled either, the reason being that it's difficult to be standing and walking too much because of my knees. But the group of women I was with were quick and efficient, so my knees were fine. That evening, I had intended not to participate in the fear factor event, again because of the excessive amount of time standing and walking (and as a "contestant", climbing). But I ended up being one of the escorts, leading the women blindfolded along the fear factor course. It was fun, but exhausting, and my knees near collapsed on me.

Needless to say, by Sunday, my knees were not happy campers. Compounded by all the standing and walking on Saturday, one of the women early in the day Saturday, gave my knee … the one still very much afflicted with the most pain and discomfort and swelling … a resounding hard slap! YEOUCH! I so wanted to punch her. I bit my tongue and said nothing, though, it greatly affected my enjoyment of the remaining time there. I tried so hard to get drunk Saturday night. I had — 5 drinks, but, not even a buzz. I was sad.

All in all, the weather was the most enjoyable. It stayed fairly cool; the evenings actually on the chilly side. I was happy.

Monday morning arrived and I was anxious to be on my way home. Sunday night turned out to be the one night I didn't get much sleep at all, even though I turned in fairly early. I wanted to beat the traffic at the bridge coming from NJ to NYC, so I was on my way by 8:30-9:00ish. It was an uneventful drive home, even the weather was good, although by the time I hit NJ, it was quite hot and I had to turn the air conditioner on for the first time. Bridge traffic was zero, and I zoomed through and made it home a little after 3:00. Gawd, it was great to be home!

It was good to see familiar faces, and to meet some new ones as well, but I still found myself wishing I were home the whole time I was there. I'm not sure I'll be returning the next year. If I do, I'll definitely have my own room!


^back to top^