When and Where

August 22, 2005
4:00 p.m.
Waimanalo Beach, Oahu, Hawaii


Our Vows


The Wedding

Much thought went into what we wanted in the way of a ceremony for this special day. Nothing overly formal was desired, opting for the haunting lull of the white sand beach of Waimanalo.

It is said that for a wave to lap over the couple in ceremony, is a blessing from the gods.

Our day began with a trip into the nearby village before returning to our cottage. We needed some relaxation in the beautiful waters of the Pacific, and so we headed off for a swim until time to get ready for the big event. Were we nervous? You bet!

More than nervousness, however, silly me didn't take my medications at all while we were there. It caught up with me, and so I was viciously bloated and swollen — and fighting a tooth that had decided to get infected, probably brought on by the swelling. But, I was intent on preservering and getting through the day!

We were dressed and soon on our way down the road to visit the Hobbit House to meet up with the consultants, to get my headdress bouquet and Tony's lei. And it truly was a Hobbit House! It was the most awesome house we've ever seen. From there, we walked across the street and to the beach, to meet with the photographer, David.

Turned over in the very capable hands of the photographer, who put us through paces, posing here and there, climbing through the jungle brush, cracking jokes. He told us he "had his ways" with people who didn't smile.

And he wasn't kidding!

We spent quite some time posing here and there, crawling into small clearings of trees and vines, while he hid in the brush to snap pictures, instructing us to forget about him and share an intimate moment. Then it was off to the water's edge. That's where we had fun. He had us walking along the water, staying in the sand where we didn't get wet. Then we were supposed to turn into the water about a foot, then walk back, just barely our feet getting wet.

Nope. Didn't happen.

We walked in further, almost to our knees and just had a blast. David got into it, and made us do it AGAIN. Only walk farther away, so we'd have more time coming back toward him in the water.

Then Captain Howie arrived, conch shell in hand, dressed in his pareo — and I don't think anything underneath it — and a tape recorder to tape the ceremony.

The ceremony began with the blowing of the conch shell. Two short blasts which by custom, decreed that villagers take note. The third blast, a VERY long slow call of the conch, a blessing of a long rewarding relationship and love. Afterwards, he spoke to us on love and spirtuality and how this beach we were on truly was like a piece of heaven. He compared marriage to the seas. It was an awesome thing he spoke on. Capt. Howie is not only a maritime captain, but also a licensed Kahuna (native minister) and licensed non-demoninational minister, but also a practicing Buddhist. That might give you a better idea of the spirituality he was encompassing.

The ceremony proceeded with the two of us holding hands, and repeating our vows, the ocean binding us as one.

After a toast of sparkling apple cider, more pictures, and hugs and kisses from both the kahuna and the photographer, we were off to get ready for our dinner at a fabulous restaurant Auntie Betty suggested down in Waikiki.